Synlogic Therapeutics is an innovative biopharma company in Cambridge, MA. We are driving development of medicines from a unique position at the convergence of two revolutionary fields: synthetic biology and the microbiome. We offer a dynamic work environment where our dedicated team pursues R&D activities spanning drug discovery through clinical development. We are committed to the service of patients, to the pursuit of innovation and to maintaining a vibrant and welcoming culture.
Director of Bioanalytical
At Synlogic, our vision is to create an entirely new modality of therapeutic agents – engineered probiotic bacteria that operate as living medicines to treat important diseases. We are making this dream a reality with the advancement of several projects towards clinical development, and are looking to strengthen our talented team with the addition of an experienced scientific leader to help evolve our bioanalytical strategy.
We are seeking an experienced individual who is excited by the prospect of establishing DMPK models for a new class of therapeutic agents. This individual will have experience working across the drug discovery and development continuum, including a track record of successfully managing R&D portfolio workflows through a combination of internal resources and CROs, as well as an ability to support regulatory interactions and related document preparatory processes. The successful candidate will have expertise in small molecule bioanalytical method development strategies and instrumentation (LC-MS/MS and GC-MS) as well as establishment of appropriate assays to support discovery and early clinical development. Importantly, this individual should have metabolomics experience including untargeted metabolite identification and characterization. Strong supervisory and communication skills and the ability to facilitate constructive, expedient problem solving are also essential, as are excellent writing and editing skills with an attention to detail. A PhD with 7-10 years of industrial experience are required.
To apply for this position please contact Paul Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org
Scientist – In vitro Pharmacology/Cell Biology
Synlogic is a leading biotechnology company located in Cambridge, MA that is focused on the creation of novel therapeutic microorganisms to address multiple serious diseases. We’re utilizing state-of-the-art synthetic biology and microbial genetics technologies to build an outstanding portfolio of clinical candidates. We now have an exciting opportunity for an In vitro Pharmacologist/Cell Biologist Scientist. You will be responsible for the development of mechanistic and phenotypic in vitro and ex vivo assays in the context of immunology and cancer immunotherapy. Your role will include setting up and utilizing cell based assays for the quantitative characterization of metabolites and expressed proteins from synthetic biotic microorganisms. You will be expected to conduct hands-on work and to generate and evaluate data using mammalian tumor cell lines and primary cells, such as epithelial and immune cells.
You will provide pharmacology representation in drug discovery programs and with pharmaceutical partners, and present at both internal and external meetings. You will have the opportunity to publish work in peer-reviewed journals.
- PhD, or equivalent, and industry experience in cell biology and pharmacology
- Track record of excellence in the utilization of quantitative pharmacological assays and techniques
- Strong publication record
- Experience in drug discovery
- Expert knowledge of the basic immune response is a plus
- Experience in in vivo pharmacology is a plus
To apply for this position please contact Jose Lora at email@example.com
Director Formulation Development, Drug Substance and Drug Product
The Director of Formulation Development will lead the development of formulations for drug substance and drug product at Synlogic. The Director will be responsible for transfer of the DS and DP formulation process to contract GMP manufacturers and for monitoring those production processes with the process development staff. The Director will be part of a dynamic and motivated Development team to bring Synlogic’s novel synthetic biotics to clinical trials and eventual commercialization. As part of this effort, the person will be expected to:
- Develop and execute plans for development of dried drug substance formulations and solid oral dosage forms of drug product. This work would be a performed through a combination of contract and internal development.
- Develop and execute plans for supply of solid oral dosage forms of R&D products for non-clinical studies.
- Lead the evaluation and selection of contractors for the development and GMP manufacturing of Synlogic DS and DP.
- Lead the tech transfer and production of Synlogic formulated product forms internally and at CDMOs.
- Prepare timelines and budgets for formulation development and production related activities.
- Lead formulation development project teams and represent the formulation work in cross-functional team meetings.
- Write and review development technical protocols and technical reports documenting formulation, stability and method development studies as required for internal documentation.
- Write and review work documenting formulation, stability and method development studies as required for IND and other regulatory submissions.
Education and Work Requirements
- D. in Pharmaceutics, Biology, Chemistry or a related discipline.
- Minimum of 15 years’ experience post-Ph.D. with at least 10 years of industry experience in formulation development of DS and DP.
- Experience independently leading multiple formulation development projects.
- Confident oral and written communication skills.
Required Technical Skills
The applicant must have demonstrated experience with the majority of the following analytical methods:
- Protein Spectroscopic Analysis (DSF, FTIR, CD)
- Calorimetric analysis (DSC)
- Particle sizing and characterization (DLS, HIAC, and/or MFI)
- Physico-chemical solution analysis (Osmometry and/or Viscometry)
- Familiarity with computer software including word processing and data evaluation (SigmaPlot, GraphPad, Origin, and/or JMP DOE software).
The applicant must have demonstrated experience in the following scientific areas:
- Experience with formulation development studies, including excipient screening and optimization for formulation of dry biological products as drug substances. This should include lyophilization or spray drying.
- Experience with solid dosage form development for DP, including capsuling, tableting and enteric coating.
- Experience transferring formulation processes to GMP manufacturing operations
- Experience generating and executing stability studies.
Synlogic is a privately-held biopharmaceutical company based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, pioneering the development of a novel class of therapeutics, called synthetic biotics, based on its proprietary synthetic biology and microbiome platform. The synthetic biotics are programmed to correct disease-causing metabolic dysregulation while operating within the microbiome. We are utilizing state-of-the-art synthetic biology and microbial genetics technologies to build a promising portfolio of investigational clinical candidates. For more information, please visit http://synlogictx.com/.
IF INTERESTED, PLEASE CONTACT
Richard M. Schwartz, Senior Vice President, Development and Manufacturing, Synlogic
Phone: 607-202-9373, firstname.lastname@example.org
Scientist – Immunology/Immuno-oncology
Synlogic is a leading biotechnology company located in Cambridge, MA that is focused on the creation of novel therapeutic microorganisms to address multiple serious diseases. We’re utilizing state-of-the-art synthetic biology and microbial genetics technologies to build an outstanding portfolio of clinical candidates. We now have an exciting opportunity for an Immunology/Immuno-oncology Scientist. You will be responsible for the development of mechanistic in vitro, in vivo and ex vivo assays in the context of tumor immunology/cancer immunotherapy. Your role will include validation of targets and pathways, and characterization of synthetic biotic microorganisms, as basic research tools and for advancing drug discovery programs. You will be expected to conduct hands-on work and to generate and evaluate data in the area of immunology/immuno-oncology, including phenotyping, differentiation and characterization of human and murine leukocyte subsets, adoptive cell transfer, Treg suppression assays, FACS, cell sorting, ELISA and other immunologically-relevant techniques.
You will provide immunology/immuno-oncology representation in drug discovery programs and present at both internal and external meetings, and you will have the opportunity to publish work in peer-reviewed journals.
- PhD, or equivalent, and postdoctoral experience in immunology
- Experience in immuno-oncology, especially with in vivo syngeneic models is a strong plus
- Strong publication record and expert knowledge of the basic immune response
- Track record of direct, hands-on experience in executing major immunological techniques, in vitro, in vivo and ex vivo
- Experience in drug discovery is a plus
To apply for this position please contact Jose Lora at email@example.com
Sr. Scientist, Nutritional/Metabolic Pharmacology
Synlogic is a leading biotechnology company located in Cambridge, MA, that engineers synthetic biotics, a new class of medicines, designed from natural probiotic bacteria that are programmed to correct disease-causing metabolic dysregulation while operating within the microbiome. We are utilizing state-of-the-art synthetic biology and microbial genetics technologies to build a promising portfolio of investigational clinical candidates.
Synlogic is seeking a highly motivated pharmacologist/nutritional scientist with expertise in metabolism and gastrointestinal physiology. This individual will help build a team focused on in vivo model systems to study the therapeutic potential of engineered probiotics. An important emphasis of this position will be to establish and leverage mammalian in vivo model systems to address key questions about the efficacy of our engineered probiotics operating within the gastrointestinal system and the microbiome as an integral point for modulation of systemic metabolic disease. The successful candidate will work with our internal team, external experts and CROs to leverage their experience in metabolic or nutritional pharmacology and implement novel experimental systems to trace and characterize key metabolites and nutrients including amino acids and short chain fatty acids in the body. This is a unique and exciting opportunity to help develop synthetic biotics as therapies for inborn errors of metabolism, such as UCD and PKU and other chronic metabolic diseases and establish a new therapeutic modality that is leveraging the GI tract, and the power of synthetic biology towards the treatment of rare and intractable human diseases.
Requirements for this role:
- PhD and 10+ years of relevant research experience in industry
- Significant experience in research and development for metabolic disease indications
- Understanding of amino acid or short chain fatty acid metabolism desirable
- Experience developing in vivo models and their application to therapeutic discovery and development
- Strong analytical and problem solving capabilities
- Track record of successful external collaboration with key opinion leaders
- Experience working in cross functional multidisciplinary teams and leading a pharmacology group
To apply for this position please contact Caroline Kurtz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Synlogic Therapeutics is committed to equal employment opportunity. All applicants must have authorization to work in the U.S.